Personal data and principles of data protection
Personal data is any data which can directly or indirectly identify you as an individual, for example your name and surname, postal or email address or telephone number. Insofar as your personal data has been collected within the scope of the EU Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC, the following principles apply:
- Ewals shall only process your personal data in the event that a legal basis to do so exists. This basis may be derived from a law, a contract or your previous express consent, and insofar as the processing of your personal data is required.
- Ewals may only process such personal data required in terms of type and scope for the fulfillment of authorized purposes. Data must be relevant and appropriate.
- Ewals shall not store your personal data for longer than necessary for the purposes for which it was collected or as required under applicable retention policies and will delete it as soon as it may no longer be retained pursuant to applicable legislation.
- Ewals takes all necessary technical and organizational measures to ensure your personal data is protected against unauthorized use and publication, and its security and confidentiality is guaranteed.
Personal data obtained
Ewals needs and obtains personal data in connection with various activities such as the provision of services such as transport activities (including delivery and pickup of loads), the use of the Ewals websites and applications, and requests to track shipments or answer questions.
In addition, it may be required by law to collect certain information, such as whether a load contains hazardous materials.
Please note that Ewals may be unable to provide you with certain services unless you provide this information.
The types of personal data Ewals may obtain include:
- Individual and business contact information (such as name, company name, address, email address, and telephone or fax number)
- Shipping information (such as shipping-related contact details (e.g. the shipper's, and consignee's name, address, email address and telephone number), signature for proof of delivery, Ewals account number, information given to Ewals that helps Ewals access locations to which we provide services and information provided to Ewals regarding the content of certain loads, but only to the extent an identifiable person can be linked to such content
- Names, email addresses and telephone numbers of others to whom Ewals is asked to send information on the assumption that the person who provided the information obtained it in accordance with applicable law
- Username and other credentials used to access Ewals services
- Social media handles, content and other data posted on Ewals’ official social media pages or elsewhere on the Internet and information (such as email address and other information you allow to be shared) obtained through Ewals-related social media apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins (including third-party login services)
- Payment information (including payment card details or online payment services number and billing address) and financial information (such as bank account number)
- Tax identification number in circumstances in which you request products or services for which this information is required
- Other personal information that may be provided to Ewals to obtain Ewals services
When you visit Ewals websites, use Ewals apps, or interact with tools, widgets or plug-ins, Ewals may collect certain data by automated means, such as cookies. The data Ewals collects in this manner includes IP address and a unique device identifier.
A "cookie" is a file that Ewals websites send to a visitor's computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor's browser or to store information or settings in the browser. Ewals uses a so called wire cookie which is used by the ProcessWireCMS to ascertain whether a uses is logged in or not and which is used to administrate the (contents) of the website.
Ewals may also use third-party analytics (e.g. Google Analytics) tools that collect information about visitor traffic on Ewals websites or apps. Google Analytics is a company based in the United States. Since it has qualified for the European Privacy Shield, Ewals may exchange information with this company. Also a data processing agreement is in place.
The settings of Googly Analytics have been modified in accordance with the advice of the authority Autoriteit Persoonsgegevens (Handleiding privacyvriendelijk instellen van Google Analytics d.d. 6 maart 2018) whereby the last octet of your IP-address is masked, the option ‘share data’ is turned off and Ewals does not use any other services provided by Google in combination with Google Analytics.
The above enables Ewals to improve your user experience when visiting Ewals websites and optimize these websites. Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies or how to restrict or disable certain types of cookies. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to use all of the features of Ewals websites or apps. Ewals may collect personal information about visitors' online activities.
The providers of third-party apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins on Ewals websites and apps, such as Facebook "Like" buttons, also may use automated means to collect information regarding your interactions with these features. This information is subject to the privacy policies or notices of these providers.
The legal bases for which Ewals collects, uses, transfers or disclose personal data include (i) the performance of a contract in place with you, (ii) marketing, improvement of our services and other legitimate (business) interests, (iii) compliance with legal obligations.
Ewals may also process personal data based on your consent and upon asking for any specific consent will inform you of the intended purposes for which relevant data will be processed.
Purposes of the processing
Ewals only uses your personal data for specific purposes.
Ewals may use the data obtained to:
- Pick up, deliver and track shipments
- Provide services you request (such as logistics and supply chain management)
- Process and collect payments
- Provide customer support and respond to and communicate with you about your requests, questions and comments
- Establish and manage your account (including your online account and the Self billing tool)
- Process claims Ewals receives in connection with our services
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business
- Perform data analyses
- Protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities
- Comply with applicable legal requirements and our policies
Ewals may merge your data collected at one of its websites with data from sites of its affiliated companies for purposes of marketing products or services to you.
Ewals may share personal identifiable information with its affiliates in order to improve services to you. Also, Ewals may disclose aggregated user information to describe Ewals services to current and prospective partners, advertisers, and other third parties and for other lawful purposes, including planning for and implementing advertising or promotional campaigns.
Ewals may use your data to determine the demographics of our website users and to distribute statistics and general marketplace information about Ewals. These demographics will always represent aggregate information and never identify a specific user.
Ewals uses information collected online through cookies for purposes such as to help diagnose technical and service problems and administer Ewals websites and apps. Ewals websites and apps are not designed to respond to "do not track" requests from browsers.
Ewals may use data it obtains in other ways but shall then provide specific notice at the time of collection.
Sharing personal data
Ewals employees shall only have access to your personal data on a need to know basis. Ewals may also share personal data with her affiliates which may use the data for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement.
Ewals may transmit your personal data to third parties, such as internal or external service providers or suppliers commissioned by Ewals to render services on your behalf. Your personal data shall, however, only be transmitted to companies who are obliged to observe data secrecy and who abide by the relevant legislation in the processing of your data. Should such companies be located outside the EU, Ewals shall ensure the protection of your personal data in accordance with the relevant legislation for example by standard contractual clauses.
To perform pick-up and delivery services, Ewals shares shipping information with third parties such as shippers, consignees, third party payors and recipients. Ewals also share personal data with third parties who perform services on our behalf based on our instructions. These third parties are not authorized by us to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements. In the course of providing forwarding and logistics services Ewals may obtain, use and disclose personal data about third parties such as our customers’ customers. Data is then processed based on the contract in place with our customer.
Ewals may disclose data (i) if required to do so by law, regulation or legal process (ii) in response to requests by government agencies or (iii) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity.
Ewals does not sell or otherwise share personal data, except as described in this Privacy Statement.
Your rights regarding personal data
Right to information
You may, at any time, request to be informed which data pertaining to you is stored by a given group company, and also to whom such personal data has been transferred. Ewals is however not obliged to comply with your request for information in the event that it affects the interests of a third party in a manner which is not legally permissible, or in the event that, in a specific case, a legitimate interest in protecting business secrets contradicts such a course of action.
Right of rectification, deletion and limitation
You retain the right of rectification should the saved data pertaining to you be or become incomplete or incorrect. Ewals must delete your personal data if the requirement for data processing no longer exists of if you ask Ewals to do so..
Right of objection and to withdraw consent
You may object to the use of your data in the event that a contractual or legal right to object exists. In the event you have consented to the use of your data, you retain the right to revoke your consent at any time.
Right of free data transfer
You have the right to acquire your data as processed by Ewals in a structured, commonly (machine)readable form.
If you believe your personal data has been processed by Ewals in violation of this Privacy Statement and/or EU Data Protection regulation:
- You have the right to submit a complaint to Ewals. All complaints shall be investigated by Ewals as we will try to resolve your complaint.
- You may also submit a complaint to the supervisory authority Autoriteit Persoonsgegevens, www.autoriteitpersoonsgegevens.nl . This is the competent authority since the head offices of the Ewals group are situated in The Netherlands.
- You also have the right to take legal action against Ewals in the event of infringement.
Cookies for measuring website use
For further details, please see the ‘about Hotjar’ section of Hotjar’s support site.
Ewals maintains administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect personal data against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
Please note that information located on the outside of a load or letter of transport may be visible to others and that you yourself are at all times responsible for preventing unauthorized access to your data, computer, logins, passwords and codes. Ewals does not accept any liability for damage/losses occurred as a result of data disclosed as described in this paragraph or as a result of your own actions/negligence.
Updates of this Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement may be updated from time to time to reflect changes in our business processes and corresponding personal data practices. These changes will be made without prior notice, however we will post a notice on our websites as a notification in case of significant changes.
Should you have any comments or questions relating to the processing of your personal data, please contact us at
Ewals Cargo Care Holdings BV
5931 HM Tegelen